Piazza d'Aracoeli The
Basilica of Santa Maria in Aracoeli is located on the highest summit of
the Campidoglio at the top of 124 steep steps. The foundation of the
church was laid on the site of a Byzantine Abbey in 574.
charming piazza in the heart of the old Jewish quarter is the site of
one of Rome's loveliest fountains, designed by Giacomo della Porta
1581. The fountain was restored in 1658 and the sculptures of the
youths bearing tortoises, for which the fountain named have been
attributed to Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
Teatro di Marcello
ancient theatre was planned by Julius Caesar, who was murdered before
work to build it begun. It was formally inaugurated by Augustus in 12
BC. The theatre was 111 m in diameter; it could originally hold 11,000
spectators. Later in the 16th century the noble Orsini family
built a palace on the top of the ruins of the theatre. In the summer
months classical music concerts are held in this evocative setting.
considered the heart of the Jewish Ghetto. Rome Jewish population is
one of the oldest in Europe. These ruins were originally the entrance
to an enormous square colonnade enclosing temples, libraries and shops
which was first erected in 146 BC and rebuilt by Augustus in 12
BC. From the middle ages until the end of the 19th
century the portico became Rome's main fish market.|
Pons Fabricius on the Tiber Island
bridge over the Tiber island is also called Ponte Quattro Capi – Four
Heads is the oldest bridge in Rome. It was built in 62 BC and still in
Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola
island has been associated with the health and healing since ancient
times, once site of the Temple to Esculapio, the God of Medicine. Since
1583 the Hospital of the Fatebenefratelli serves the Roman population
and is a favourite hospital for giving birth to this date.
Basilica of San Bartolomeo was built in 1000 over the ruins of
the Temple of Esculapio and is said to contain the relics of the
apostle St. Bartolomeo.
remains the Pons Aemilius built in the 2nd century BC. It is the
oldest stone bridge in Rome. Damaged and repaired in several
occasions, the bridge was destroyed by 1598, when its eastern half was
carried away thus the name “Ponte Rotto” - broken bridge.
Temples of Hercules Victor & Portunus
Temple of Hercules Victor dates from about 120 BC. It's circular
design has caused it to be mistaken for a temple of Vesta. By 1132 the
temple had been converted into a church known as St. Steven of the
Temple of Portunus is a rectangular building built between 100 and 80
BC. During the middle ages the temple was converted into
the church of Santa Maria Secundicerii.
Basilica di San Nicola in Carcere Built
on the ruins of the Forum Hilitorium the original church dates to the
6th century while the current one dates to at least 1128. The
church gets it's name from the Roman prison, Carcere Tulliano, however
this is an erroneous attribution as the prison actually dates back to
Chiesa di Santa Maria in CosmedinBuilt
in the 6th century over the ruins of the Templum Herculis Pompeiani, it
is one of the finest medieval churches in Rome. The church was built
with three naves and a portico. Because of its beauty, the adjective
cosmedin was added to its name (from Greek kosmidion), beautiful.
famous 'Bocca della Verita' is in the portico of the church. The Bocca
della Verita (the mouth of truth) is a great stone mask with a gaping
mouth. Legend has it that anyone who lies while their hand is in its
mouth will have it bitten off.
Arch of Janus The
Arch of Janus is the only quadrifrons triumphal arch preserved in Rome.
It was built in the early 4th century, possibly in honour of
Constantine I. The name is derived from the Latin Janus which means
cover passageway or door and not to the two faced Roman god Giano.
San Giorgio al VelabroThis
Romanic church dates back to the VI century. Legend has it that the
church was built on the site where Romulus and Remus were found
by the she wolf.
San Teodoro al Palatino
6th century basilica was built on the ruins of the granaries of
Agrippa. The unusual round shape suggests that it make have been built
in the shell of a pre-existing temple.
The church is dedicated to the Byzantine Saint Theodore of Amasea and has been renovated many times throughout the centuries.
the back of the atrium outside the church is an ossuary, where you can
see stacked skulls and bones through a grill. The Capitoline Wolf was
kept in this church until the 16th century.
Anastasia was built in the late 3rd century. The name possibly refers
to Anastasia sister of the Emperor Constantin I. This is a very special
church as it never closes, for those that should have an urge to pray
in the heart of the night. Sometimes at night processions by
candlelight leave from this church and retrace the stations of the
cross in the nearby Circo Massimo.
Campidoglio Park & View of Ghetto RooftopsEnjoy a view over the rooftops of the Ghetto from the shaded Campidoglio park.
Campidoglio, or Capitoline, was the most important of Rome's seven
hills. The piazza at the top of the hill was designed by
Michelangelo Buonarroti in the 1530s and took over a hundred years to
complete. The grand stairs leading up to the piazza were
also designed by Michelangelo. The building opposite the
stairs is Rome's city hall. At the centre of the piazza
is a copy of the magnificent second century equestrian statue of
the emperor Marcus Aurelio.